Followers

Sunday 23 October 2022

Living in the Modern age

 Living in the Modern age 

By Sis Unsworth 


I haven’t put my heating on, & I’ve switched off all the lights,

As when I read my meter, it just gave me a fright.

I’ve bought a lot of candles, in case the power goes,

They say there could be blackouts, but then who really knows?

I’ve heard that all the onesies, have been purchased that’s for sure

To keep warm in the winter, is bound to be a chore.

So, I’ll buy an Army greatcoat, like they wore throughout the wars,

And scarves and hats and gloves, just to wear indoors.

People really worry how they’ll pay their household bills,

And find we are all cutting back, at the supermarket tills.

I’ve got a strange contraption, that just boils one cup of tea,

As the cost to fill the kettle, is now a luxury.

With all the things we’re living through, & the cutbacks it will bring.

We had our diamond wedding, & I thought I’d like a ring,

But living in this modern age, I’ve had to pay the price,

As things will now be difficult, I’ve made a sacrifice.

To wear a lovely diamond ring, is no longer my desire,

Conforming to the modern age, I’m buying a new ‘Air Fryer’

 

         Copyright Sis Unsworth

1 comment:

  1. We've also bought an 'Air Fryer', great minds eh? Don't worry, when we next meet at yours I'll bring a pack of straws, then you'll only have to make one cuppa. Nice poem...

    ReplyDelete