DEATH
By John Abbott
It was dark , no moon , I could barely see my hand . My gloved hand tightened on the grip of my weapon , a small double-edged blade , six and a half inches of cold hard Sheffield steel . I must be conscious of not only trying to make as little noise as possible , but of not trying too hard , that only makes it less natural . I gritted my teeth , assuring myself that I could take him , that the sleek slim darkened metal could kill him , end his life and with it , his hopes , his dreams , his thoughts ....
A final word to myself .... now lad , go !! My left knee took the strain and moved me cautiously upwards .
There he was , three large steps away , a low wall shielding his lower legs . He was about my height and seemed cold , his breath showing slightly in the night air . I glanced down , leaves in front of me , I made a full scan , left to right , couldn't see fuck ! right ! Here goes . Don't breathe Johnny old son , no intake of air , he might hear it .
I stepped into the abyss , into the darkness , one step , stop .... second step .... here goes .... it slowly occurred to me how could I stop him falling or making a sound ?
Without giving the idea a second thought , I stepped to him .
Left hand couldn't reach over to grab his headgear , so whilst moving forward , my right hand steered a piece of Sheffield into his left kidney , a tenth of a milli-second to withdraw the blade and now his helmet was in reach . Snap the helmet back SHIT !!!! , Bollocks !!! , No strap !!! , as his helmet calmly landed on my left thigh , my fingers tightened upon it , in the same moment , his head turned slightly left . Dear old Sheffield scored the winner , tight , hard , an inch and a half below his right ear lobe and up into his brain . Job done blade withdrawn in a second , I gently cradled his body , lowered it to the ground , claret all over the shop . I sat , cross-legged upon the wall and expelled my breath .
One-nil to England chum , I thought to myself . Not exactly a text book job , what was I doing ? Should've realised the bloody strap , what a prat , that could have done for me ? I hadn't heard any noise , too hyped-up, didn't matter now .
I raised myself , turned and stepped back three steps into my place of origin - the darkness .
As I wiped the blade upon the rag on my belt , my last thought was cold I wondered what they'd tell his bird ?
Copyright
John Abbott

Another tense moment with adrenaline flowing free. There are a lot of gaps between punctuation marks, something to guard against in future.
ReplyDeleteThat aside, a good read!
Very tense and detailed shouldn’t have eaten my bacon sandwich whilst reading, Gave me indigestion Peter
ReplyDeleteI do not like the celebration of callous, cold killing. It reads like justifying murder with relish under the thin veil of war.
ReplyDelete