Followers

Tuesday, 22 September 2026

Bay of Pigs

Do you remember…

Let me take you back to the “swinging sixties.” If you are a baby boomer like me, this was our era. Mini skirts, vinyl records, Elvis Presley, Mods and Rockers, and many other moments. But that is not where my memory is leading me to:

This was the time of East meets West.

During this period, I was a young mother with a toddler and seven months pregnant with my second child, and, picture the scene, I am shopping in the high street, when I noticed a small crowd of people standing round the TV shop window; Having an inquiring mind, I edged towards the crowd. On the black and white TV, I heard the BBC newsreader saying that our prime minister, Harold Macmillan, would be making an important announcement.

I went to my parents’ home, really upset. Mum asked me if something had happened to me or my son, I blurted out what I had half heard a man saying that we will all be blown to smithereens. Mum settled me down on a chair and asked me what I was talking about. I explained that the Prime Minister would be talking to the nation at 6:00 pm that night.

At 5:55 pm we were ready to hear what the Prime Minister had to say at precisely 6,00 pm. I had brought my Grannie Smith in from next door.

The prime minister explained that as the Cold War was escalating, we must all prepare ourselves for the worst. We were told that every household would receive instructions from the government’s “protect and survive” campaign, which outlined highly specific steps for home survival. He went on to say that previously, during the year, the two leaders, J. F. Kennedy, the President of the United States and Soviet Premier of Russia, Nikita Khrushchev had met in Vienna, Austria. Letters had gone backwards and forwards where the newspaper called them “pen pals.” But the Cuban crisis changed all that; it was the moment that two superpowers came the closest to nuclear war.

Then, the Prime Minister said that everybody should stay glued to the radio for hourly updates, and that was that. The Prime Minister had spoken.

I was extremely frightened at the news and started to cry, mum being mum said “listen to me, I was born at the beginning of the first world war, my parents had to move twice after a zeppelin made a direct hit on both houses, then came the 30’s, everyone struggled to keep food on the table, and a roof over our heads. Poverty was all around us due to the general strike,

Followed by the second world war, where I was bombed out three times, one was when i was working at the Gaumont Picture House.

Mark my words, if your number is on it, that’s it!! All the worrying in the world will not make a ha’pence of a difference, so, dry your eyes and off home.”

N.b. The instruction leaflet explained that you unhinge your doors, have an allotted room, then stay as far as possible from the walls. Cover windows with blankets, rags with whatever you have available, and do not go out of the door.

Sirens will sound when the bombs are detected; take any necessary step to avoid the nuclear dust.

Some days later, after the superpowers were eyeballing each other, the Russian Soviet Premier was the first to blink and backed down leaving the President of the United States visual shaken. Agreements were hastily put together and signed. The President was heard to say that this was the worst thing to happen in my life.

The standoff was transmitted across the world.

This was my memorable moment…

Copyright, Barbara Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment