Be the Character
Len Morgan
Constantin Stanislavski (1863~1938) was a Russian actor/director, known
for the Stanislavki System of ‘Method Acting’ associated with many actors, Al
Pacino, Robert De Niro, & Marlon Brando among them.
Stanislovski encouraged actors to question their characters:
1. What does he/she
want & Why?
2. What is he/she
thinking & feeling?
3. How can you
experience their circumstances?
4. How would I
behave in his/her skin?
5. Live the
Character!
I would suggest that budding authors could do the same. When writing his/her story. Give them a history, get under their skin!
Porter Wagoner the American Country Western star said:
“Before you judge a man walk a mile in his shoes.”
Which to me seems good advice, try for empathy, see the world through their
eyes. People are complicated characters.
ORIGIN: When I look deeper I find Porter Wagoner was not first.
There is a poem by Mary T Lathrap “Judge Softly” 1895.
“Walk a mile in his Moccasins before you abuse criticise or accuse”
Aparently before that, it was an old Indian Proverb.
Look up the poem "Judge Softly" It says all. But for the grace of God go you or I.
Len Morgan

take a character and build a life around them...
ReplyDeleteExcellent advice that, if heeded, would improve everyone's work.
ReplyDelete