Followers

Monday 3 June 2024

THE HIGH LIFE [Part 1]

THE HIGH LIFE   [Part 1] 

By Richard Banks


It was not until after my passing that I discovered the truth. One moment I was in the Waterloo Room, sitting on the sofa and sipping a restorative sherry, the next I wasn’t. It really was that quick. I remember the glass slipping from my fingers but even before it hit the floor I was rising through the ceiling which, despite its solid construction, could do nothing to keep me in.

         But this was the new me, the inside of my head me; my body, my flesh and blood for over thirty years, had been left sideways down on the settee. It was a strange experience but not entirely unpleasant and, on a cloudless evening with the sun sinking towards the horizon, the view of Frampton Hall from up high was a joy to behold. The trouble was that having risen to a point where most days you would expect there to be clouds I continued, ever faster, into space, the Earth below me soon resembling the globe in my children’s playroom. 

         It was all very fascinating but at the same time more than a little alarming and, as I sped further and further away from Earth, I must confess I was thrown into something of a tizz, especially as I was headed straight for the Moon which like me was unable to change direction. A month after Neil Armstrong and Buzz had set down there it seemed I was to be the first woman, but not, I feared, with the same happy outcome. They had buttons to press that made Apollo 11 go up, down and every other way but I had nothing, not even a finger to do the pressing. Worse still I couldn’t slow down, and though common sense told me that having already died I was unlikely to do so again, the prospect of crashing into the lunar surface triggered something in my altered being that I can only describe as instinct or mind over matter, except that my matter had been very much left behind in the Wellington Room.

         “Stop,” I shrieked, or tried to, not a sound passing my non-existent lips. But stop I did. So that’s how it works, I thought. It was just like talking to Fred, our chauffeur, except that I was Fred and by the power of thought able to send me, or what was left of me, anywhere I wanted to go. So back to earth I went and after getting a little muddled with my geography descended back into Frampton Hall as the sun was rising at the start of a new day. Needless to say I assumed this to be the day after my departure, but as I came in through the roof it soon became apparent that this was not the case.

         Whilst I had no wish to see my mortal remains stiff and horizontal on the settee I was both surprised and perplexed to find that their removal was only one of a number of things to have happened since my departure. Indeed, the room had been treated to a complete make over and the Goya above the mantelpiece replaced by some other old master. In the hall the chiming of a new timepiece alerted me to a further change; the old carriage clock that had struck the hour and half hour, with loud reverberating chimes that could be heard in every room of the house, had now been replaced by one, rather smaller, that spoke with a softer voice. Reassuringly the rogues’ gallery of Neville’s ancestors was still there, beginning, at the foot of the Grand Stairway, with the one that came over with William I and continuing up to me and Neville at the top. Yes, there they all were, the same old faces I had passed by, back and forth, so many times, except that now there was one further picture on the first floor landing.           

         This was as puzzling as it was disconcerting, and on rising up to see what it was I came face to face with Neville and his new wife, the sixteenth Lady Frampton, otherwise known as Mildred, my little sister. Resisting the urge to continue on to our bedroom which, perish the thought, must now be their bedroom, I retreated to the Wellington Room where I hoped a little thinking time might make things clearer. Never had I been in more need of a stiff drink and, although my drinking days were now well and truly over, the smell of alcohol around the decanters not only steadied my nerves but put me on the maudlin side of squiffy. Back in the familiar surroundings of Frampton Hall, my present predicament, troubling as it was, seemed less important to me than the loss of a privileged lifestyle that had somehow slipped from my grasp.     

 

         It’s been ten years since I met Neville in a West End club and, on finding him to be the elder son of an Earl, did everything I could to retain his very evident affection. His parents, of course, did everything they could to break us up. After all they were peers of the realm and I was a commoner, and an insignificant one at that. Had my father been a billionaire that might have been enough to buy me into the aristocratic fold, but having neither money nor blue blood I had nothing they were looking for in a daughter-in-law. Fortunately Neville was a headstrong, determined young man who had been spoilt rotten and expected to get whatever he wanted, and what he wanted just then was me.

         It was true love, he said, he had discovered his muse, his soul mate, his rock in this life and the next. He was smitten alright, although his infatuation may have had more to do with my more visible qualities that had recently won me the title of Miss South East Counties, 1958. Having been shown the broom cupboard in which he thought he had been conceived, and declined his invitation to re-enact history, I set-out an alternative scenario that involved a gold ring and a comfortable bed. A week later we were in Gretna Green, and legally wed.

         At first all went well, Neville’s parents were reasonably civil, and he did everything he could to help me fulfil my dynastic mission which was to provide an heir and a spare. It therefore came as no surprise when after only a year of married life I gave birth to our first child, Cassandra.  A wonderful child was Cassandra, healthy and fair of face, who had only one failing – she was not a boy. Neville’s disappointment was only too evident; indeed he did little to conceal it. The Earldom had always passed down through the male line and this was a tradition he was determined to maintain.

         “But you will,” I assured him, “I have two brothers and five uncles, it’s in the genes, we’re bound to have boys.” And so it was that eighteen months later we had Catherine.

         Having failed to convince Neville that she or her sister might very well prove useful in marrying a Prince we returned to ‘mission boy’ with a renewed vigour that soon resulted in the double blessing of the twins – Isabel and Elizabeth. It was at this point that Neville began to take consolation in malt whisky and the solitude of his study. To make matters worse, if worse they could be, my young sister, Mildred lost her husband in a supermarket car park in the sense that he stepped out in front of a delivery van and was a tad too slow in stepping back.

         At least it took my mind off my own troubles and living in a stately home with twenty-four bedrooms I had no hesitation in inviting Mildred to come and stay for a while. A stay that lasted somewhat longer than expected, when it transpired that her husband’s life was uninsured and she had nothing in the kitty to pay their mortgage. Not that she outstayed her welcome. With Neville in a permanent sulk I was more than grateful to have her near by, her presence unnoticed by him and his parents who took her to be a maid or some other minion. It was not until we went riding one day that Neville realised that she was ‘one of us,’ at least by association. Happily they hit it off rather well and she was formally invited to stay as long as she wished which, as far as she was concerned, was as long as possible. After all a life of luxury in a stately home was a distinct improvement on the social housing on offer from Camden Council.

         And so our lives took a turn for the better. Neville emerged from the shadows and we resumed ‘mission boy’ while Mildred was always at hand to look after the girls at inconvenient moments and keep me company when Neville was at his London club having what he called his ‘man time’. Quite what this involved I thought best not to ask, and as he was always very nice to me on his return, his times away were not to be discouraged. Anyway, I had my sister now and whenever we were left to ourselves we filled in the time very pleasantly. And then, just when life couldn’t get better, it did; I became pregnant for a fifth time and Neville’s father died of something the doctor was persuaded not to write on the death certificate. Of course no one should be celebrating the death of their father-in-law but he was a dreadful old bore and with him out of the way Neville became the fourteenth Earl and that, of course, made me Lady Frampton.

         Whoopee, I thought, what an upgrade on Miss South East Counties! And, with another child on the way, I thought things were set to get even better. This time it would be fifth time lucky and when my stomach went a very different shape to how it had been before, I became convinced, as was everyone else that the child inside me was a boy. The only downer was that the, poor child, was to be named Hubert after Neville’s father but apart from that it was all systems go and Hubert was duly enrolled for his father’s schools up to and including Harrow. Unfortunately on the day of his triumphal entry into this world Hubert turned out to be a Huberta, and as part of her father’s revenge was christened as such in the family church in front of six people who reluctantly included Neville, looking even grimmer than at his father’s funeral.

         It was not long after that the thorny issue of divorce was raised. Not by me of course, I liked being Lady Frampton and no one was going to edit me out of Debretts. Needless to say Neville went into another one of his sulks and spent more and more time away at his club. How would I have managed without Mildred, my darling sister and confidant, who was not only my rock during these troubled times but somehow effected the reconciliation that brought Neville back to his senses. How she did this when I could hardly drag a word out of him I will never know but within a month our life together became as tranquil as a millpond, and although Neville seldom strayed from his side of the marital bed he was, at least, still in it. And that’s how it was until that dreadful evening when everything changed and I went shooting up through the ceiling.

 To Be Continued/... 

                                                                        Copyright Richard Banks 

1 comment: