Followers

Friday 13 October 2023

Painted Smile

 Painted Smile

By Jane Goodhew  


Winds blow, the river still flows, like my love for you once did

Until you shied away from me and let me down as you hid

Like a clown behind a painted smile, you deceive

No mention to stay where I was, that you had lied and could not leave

 

Instead, you led the lover into dreams of future plans and journeys to a foreign land

Although you felt an empty space where once had been my wedding band

As you sat that night and held my hands to warm them from the cold

Not once did you say you were not free, to be with me, no my love, you were not bold

 

You hid behind mumbled words that did not disclose how you had lied

Of your betrayal of one who had always trusted as a naïve child

Who gave you unconditional love and would have understood

If you had from the start just told the truth, instead, you chose

 

To lie and break my heart again which no words can ever mend

Yet you continue to deceive but sadly I now know, it is all, pretend.

                                                                       

 Copyright By Jane Goodhew        

 

 

4 comments:

  1. It's light hearted for all to see but I sense your hurt even after the passage of time. Laugh at the clown...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brave of you to bare your soul - we understand, most of us have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A heavy heart, I feel, but brave too and better in a way now you know what is true.

    ReplyDelete