Followers

Saturday, 10 October 2026

Summer of 69

 Summer of 69

By Jane Goodhew

Shakespeare may have written about our Winter of Discontent but for me, I prefer to remember the summer of free concerts and love in the Royal Parks in London.   It was 7th June 1969 when four of us made our way to Hyde Park, the sun shone and over 100,000 people attended without any fights or disruptions just music, peace and love.    It was to herald the birth of the super group of rock and roll, Blind Faith whose members were like a list of Whose Who in music.

Eric Clapton guitarist, who it has been said was not happy with their performance due to lack of rehearsals.    Ginger Baker with his flame red hair was on drums, known from the Cream and Stevie Winwood vocalist from Traffic and also an organist. Then Rich Grech from the Family.   Unfortunately for them although they went individually to become famous Blind Faith only lasted a short time before disbanding.  Yet no one can take away the memories of their first ‘gig’ even if they were not sure of its success.  For those there it was brilliant.  How can anyone forget Ginger Baker with his mop of flaming red hair as he bashed away on his drums or Eric Clapton who appeared to be both unsure and yet confident in front of 100-125,000 people.  They did not perform until after 5pm but the crowd just waited patiently enjoying the lead up to it with Donovan making an impromptu appearance and Mick Jagger and his then girlfriend Marianne Faithful amongst the crowd at the back of the stage. ‘Under my Thumb’ being sung in recognition of Mick’s presence and Mick would later that year have his own concert at Hyde Park but for me this was my first and last.

                        


                                     

I do not remember the other bands although Richie Havens, Edger Broughton Band and Third Ear Band played, I have to confess I haven’t a clue as to any songs they may have sung that day or since.   I was more into Talma Motown but had gone along for the experience and will never regret doing so.   The 60s were a memorable time even if ‘they ‘whoever ‘they’ are, say if you remember it then you were not really there.   I was there throughout the whole decade but that day of blue skies, the occasional cloud, sunshine and peace was the most memorable.

The 60s were remembered by many for flower power, hippies and free love but I was still in my mid-teens and more into freedom and ‘love’ in the broadest sense of the word as I was very much one of life’s innocents.  I doubt if my parents even knew where I was as I had a fairly Victorian upbringing in many ways as my dad would turn the TV off if anyone so much as kissed which as we mainly watched The News, Panorama, University Challenge, Coronation Street and Dad’s Army in those days there was not much to offend his sensitive mind or corrupt his children!  I somehow think if he had known where I was going I probably would not have been allowed and my mother had been known to lock me in my bedroom.  Rather a waste of time as we lived in a bungalow and I was more than capable of climbing out of the window.

I can still see our merry little band as we met outside Leigh Station to get the train to London and find our way across to Hyde Park.  Until about a decade ago I thought a throng of a few thousand had attended but it was well over 100,000.  It hardly gained a mentioned in the newspapers although the DJ John Peel thought it was the best of the Free Concerts that took part in the Royal Parks.   It was almost as if it had been a hazy dream, I had worn a bright red French Connection jumper and a very short mini skirt, the love beads, long dresses and hair which I hid behind came later in the 70s.  But this was the end of the 60s and as we all packed together in the midday sun I began to appreciate how warm it was and Mick not of the Jagger fame kindly removed his bright yellow shirt and let me wear it.  

I can still remember, not every moment but if I close my eyes can be transported back there and feel the warmth not just from the sun but all those that were there that day.  The small stage swamped by the group and their equipment, the inadequate speakers which meant the noise levels were not too loud which suited me.  I sometimes wonder what became of Mick and his yellow shirt or the others that made up our little band of freedom lovers.  I know my friend Sue who I kept in touch with through the decades sadly died in 2015 but I still see her sat in the Park, smiling and enjoying the moment as I sit in my own little park with the sun shining but instead of Blind Faith I hear the song of the birds, the buzz of the bee and the hum of the lawn mower in the distance and the radio blaring out from next door but I block that out and remember that day, No Winter of Discontent for me…

Copyright Jane Goodhew

 


                                    


1 comment:

  1. Nice story, well written & received with gratitude in my mind.

    ReplyDelete