Followers

Thursday 15 December 2022

RATS

 RATS

By Len Morgan 

I line up my sights and take careful aim, above its head on the metal post behind.  It would be a warning shot, not a kill shot.  My wife thinks I aim to kill but miss because I’m a bad shot.  But, I have a deep-felt belief that every living thing has a right to live on, even when we humans consider them to be vermin. 

 

The rats like grey squirrels go to incredible lengths to steal from our bird table.  I allow them just enough to feed their family.  So, the clang of the pellet on steel sees them off for a few days maybe a week.

 

Like it or not every living thing is here for a reason filling a niche in the ecosystem.  For now, the world continues to exist, but not every creature, insect, or microbe can be held accountable for the current plight of the world.  Only Homo Sapiens are contributing positively to its demise, and though we can’t say conclusively that we are wholly responsible; it’s likely that if we had never existed global warming would still be happening. 

 

The world began with an atmosphere that we couldn’t breathe constant eruptions and constant bombardment by meteors, for billions of years.  Not all meteors were bad news.  Many brought water, yet still, there was no life on earth…  But this is not meant to be a lecture about the past 5.5 billion years.  There have been umpteen extinction events, and ice ages, none of which happened in living memory so we assume change doesn’t happen.  Yet 99.9% of species that lived on earth have become extinct.  Not our fault!

 

I do believe we may also die out by plague, wars, pestilence, crass stupidity, earthquakes, meteor strikes so many possible endings… 

 

Who or what will then inherit the earth I wonder?  My money is on communal creatures like mice, rats, squirrels, and baboons all resourceful survivors.  However, I do have a soft spot for the Meerkats ~ a safe bet since nobody will be around to collect… Rats are possibly the most numerous, so just in case, I’ll continue hedging my bets by just scaring them off.

 

Copyright Len Morgan 

3 comments:

  1. Totally agree with everything you say Len. I think the only vermin on this earth are members of our own race who take pleasure in killing. Happy Christmas to all us gentle folk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Len, so close to the truth. I am working on a three or four part story about crunch time for planet earth around 2299AD. When I was planning it, I thought that it may be a little too far fetched for some of our group, but you have summed it all up in your short story.. To all our members of the RLWG and followers of the our blog; have a peaceful and joyful Christmas this year, love to you and your familiesl.
    Bob
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Food for thought Len. Im not a rat fan, but am told they make good pets and are friendly and intelligent.I do believe that all creatures are part of the great scheme of things , although the balance of species can get out of balance and cause either overpopulation or extinction .Plenty of rats of the human kind we could probably do without.

    ReplyDelete