Followers

Friday 25 November 2022

All my life I have loved Sewing

 All my life I have loved Sewing 

By Grace Petersson 

As soon as I bought a sewing machine I knew I could make a dress.

Once I had chosen a perfect pattern I could plan the cutting out but oh I wish I had an overlocker.

 

Alas in the 1970s there was no overlocker

to possibly enhance my rubbishy sewing.

The main challenge was the cutting out

and a worthy reliable sewing machine.

Although I did have a tried and trusted pattern

To make a reasonably presentable dress,

oh but I cried what kind of fancy dress

could I possibly make without an overlocker?

Just study carefully all aspects of your pattern

always study well before beginning your sewing.

You now have an improved sewing machine

and sharp scissors for cutting out.

 

Most challenging though is the cutting out

to create a well-fitting dress.

Even with an unimpeachable sewing machine,

oh for goodness sake forget about the overlocker

just focus on your competent and clever sewing.

Following the exact instructions of the pattern.

 

What joy in the 2020s a perfect pattern

Although, still check your measurements before cutting out.

Jay, I just love this art of sewing.

Today I wear my cute and colourful dress;

would you believe it I now have an overlocker,

to compliment my trusty sewing machine.

 

To my shame, I am on model six sewing machine

and so different is my latest pattern.

Frustrating it is to thread the overlocker,

but there are now slicing wheels to aid the cutting out.

Online fabric shops are key to the incomparable dress

Youtube buddies embellish and enrich my experience of sewing.

 

Hear this though:  overlockers and sewing machines are equally useful.

But to do sewing of any kind one needs a pattern and the cutting out remains eternally crucial to the perfectly fitting dress.

 

Copyright Grace Petersson

 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. An interesting observation on your pastime/passion. Thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your - I was going to say obsession but that's not the right word so I will change it to passion - with us. You are so lucky to have such a useful skill. I have no such luck, however funnily enough, I have a daughter who loves to sew so maybe it is in the genes after all.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I learnt to use a sewing machine I never had the passion or the patience to make my own clothes. I have love watching the Sewing Bee TV programme so at least I understand what they are doing and the terms used.

    ReplyDelete